Almost Always The Truth

This blog is about small incidents which have occured in the life of Neel Arurkar. Neel also writes about his family and friends in this blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai/Bangalore/Pune, Maharashtra/Karnataka, India

I am what you see :-)

Holi Bumper(Updated 14th Nov)

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Long Standing, Yet Outstanding

Usually when I come back from Bombay, I get along something to eat for people here. And that something always used to be some specialty from Bombay like Dhoklas, Kachoris or Chaklis. But the last time, I got two boxes of Dharwad Pedhas(Dharwad is in Karnataka). There are lots of hungry beasts in my team who are just waiting to pounce once the 'Sweets At My Desk' mail is sent to the group. So, in order that everyone gets a fair share, I had to put up the notice asking them not to have more than half a pedha. The pedha box was funny. The brand name Babusingh Thakur was written prominently on the gold shiny background. And the box had proud proclamations about the awards that his pedhas had won. Although, I do not know whether any such awards have really been showered on the pedhas, I will list them down here(the photograph is not very clear).
--> Winner of Rajiv Gandhi Excellence Award 2002.
--> Provincial Co-op Conference Certificate 1925.
--> Winner of Priyadarshini Indira Gandhi Award 2001.
--> Awarded by Govt of Karnataka 1999.
--> Winner of Lord Wellington Medal in 1913.

This was not all. The box also claims 'The Name Of Traditional Quality Over The Last 150 Years'. And this line takes the cake..oh sorry takes the Babusinghs Pedha. Long Standing, Yet Outstanding(not in the picture). This refers to the long queue that you have to stand in the morning to be lucky enough to get the pedhas. Whatever...the pedhas did taste good.

19 Comments:

Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Kary : Btw, you get Dharwad pedhas in Bangalore too(though not the same brand, they taste alike)

Anu : Thanks. Well, most didnt adhere to the notice :-)

Sep 26, 2005, 6:44:00 AM  
Blogger Art said...

wow !!! I miss those *sweets at my desk* , *eatables at my desk* mails...
Well if i was there i surely wouldnt have adheared to the notice... Love Dharwad pedas

Sep 26, 2005, 9:26:00 PM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

:-). Those(mails) are responsible for the extra weight that I am putting on

Sep 27, 2005, 7:19:00 AM  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

What a pedha tempting post :) Where do you get these in Mumbai?
And hey, so nice to see a pic of you :)

Sep 28, 2005, 6:07:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Dewdrop: My father's colleague got them from Dharwad. You must be getting them somewhere, I am sure. Have you ever tried them?
Abt the photo, I am going to change it soon, after comments (not on blog) from ppl:-)

Sep 28, 2005, 6:14:00 AM  
Blogger Tin Tin said...

Hey Neel!
Have you noticed awards listed on Parle-G biscuits? I wonder if those exist as well...And those pedas look yummy!

Sep 28, 2005, 6:05:00 PM  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Abt the photo, I am going to change it soon, after comments (not on blog) from ppl:-)
Hey arent bloggers people too? or did you mean non-blogger comments?
In any case, if my comment matters at all, Id say stick with yr photo. Gives a unique identity to your blog and online existence :)

Sep 28, 2005, 6:45:00 PM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Vaibhav : Ha ha!! Noticed. Nice comparison. Parle is a respected brand. I am sure they won't do that. And yeah. Had heard a story about Parle. They had built a factory just outside the city and still they used to honestly pay Octroi when they got their goods into the city.

Dewdrop: I meant the second part. I might change the photo, but in any case would put up my other photo.

Sep 28, 2005, 11:18:00 PM  
Blogger Deeps said...

I agree with Anu :)

BTW I have tagged you. Hope you don't mind. Check out this.

Sep 29, 2005, 6:35:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Deeps : You have to believe this. I am at your blog right now :-) Just got an e-mail notification about the comment.

Sep 29, 2005, 6:49:00 AM  
Blogger Flying Machine said...

Next time u come to Bombay if u could get these pedhas from Dharwad and leave it in my office, it wud be great. :D

Sep 30, 2005, 2:01:00 AM  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Ok Neel, look forward to whatever you put up post or photo, whichever is first :)

Sep 30, 2005, 9:21:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Gangadhar : Thanks. Yeah the pedhas were yummy

Bhagya : Address/ Contact number plz ;-). Btw, I am coming to Bombay for Dusshera

Dewdrop : I guess the post is going to be first :-)

Oct 3, 2005, 3:49:00 AM  
Blogger SparkleSupi said...

Gud One Neel;)though i dint get ne of da Pedas though i m just few bldgs away..:(:(
neways do get more of those Branded pedas pucca se...lol...after Dussera
and also chakli,bhakarwadi,lasun shev etc...

Oct 4, 2005, 6:26:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Hmmm. There weren't many pedhas. Had just enough for my team. But then, you did get the chaklis.... a few months ago :-). And what did you get from Pune this time?

Oct 4, 2005, 6:37:00 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Wuteva Pedha is it sounds quite yummmmy!

Keshi.

Oct 4, 2005, 8:18:00 PM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Keshi, just stumbled upon this comment. Sorry for replying late. Blogger isnot delivering all the comments to my inbox :-(
Yeah..it was yummy!

Oct 11, 2005, 3:51:00 PM  
Blogger Vishal said...

Just happened to read your blog when I was searching for "Dharwad Pedha" on Google. I come from the same region and thought of sharing some facts about the delicious "Dharwad Pedha".

It has indeed won those awards and is quite popular throughout Karnataka.

More details at the official website of Dharwad district.

http://www.dharwad.kar.nic.in/pedha.htm

Best Regards.

Aug 17, 2007, 6:38:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Vishal, it is a delicacy. It deserves the awards. Btw, who confered the awards? :-)

Aug 19, 2007, 10:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home