Almost Always The Truth

This blog is about small incidents which have occured in the life of Neel Arurkar. Neel also writes about his family and friends in this blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai/Bangalore/Pune, Maharashtra/Karnataka, India

I am what you see :-)

Holi Bumper(Updated 14th Nov)

Monday, August 01, 2005

Salaam Bombay

It was 94 in 24. 94 cms of rain was recorded in 24 hours. This is the highest ever rainfall recorded in India in a single day. Bombay was crippled. The latest figures confirm 420 deaths in the city which is a home to 13 million people. The local trains stopped. All the vehicles stopped on the roads. Electricity in suburbs was cut off. Mobile networks were jammed. Landlines are still being repaired. Houses of the people who lived in low lying areas were flooded. People drowned. Some died in landslides. Some were crushed under compound walls. I never believed that this could happen to my city(I am from Bombay, but work in Bangalore). Ah! Most of you have already read this in the newspapers. So let me tell you, how it affected my family. My father was trapped in a bus for 20 hours. My uncle had to walk in five feet deep water all through the night to reach his home. My landline is now dead. And yes. The motor that pumps water into my building burnt its coil. So there was water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink for a few days. But then, why crib? Why not salute the indomitable spirit of Bombay? Why not salute the thousands of volunteers who left the comforts of their homes and helped the stranded people? To read about such inspiring stories, click here.

8 Comments:

Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Ah! Check out some more picks
here

Aug 1, 2005, 11:13:00 PM  
Blogger Art said...

Its really gr8 to see the courage of ppl in Mumbai... Hats off to them and for everyone who volunteered in this tough time.

And good that ur family members are now safe...

Aug 2, 2005, 8:12:00 PM  
Blogger Lavinia said...

Hey Neel

What a powerful picture. I'd only heard about this on the radio and newsites. I don't watch that much TV anymore. So this was the first clear picture I saw of what has been going on with the monsoon.

People do have a strong survival instinct and Im sure with time most will recover.

Aug 3, 2005, 1:21:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Art : Yup
Lavinia: Ah! Comments from a press reporter are always welcome
Irina : Thanks. Just the other day I dropped a comment on your blog regarding the floods in Romania. You have experienced the floods. So you know how it must be here.

Aug 3, 2005, 3:44:00 AM  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Amazing stories. Its the spirit of its people, that keeps Mumbai ticking. Optimism and a incredible belief in themselves are two of the most abundant qualities of Mumbaikars. Proud to put- Mee Mumbaikar

Aug 3, 2005, 9:41:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

DewDrop: Yes. Btw, nice to meet to a fellow-Mumbaikar ( though we both are almost ex-Mumbaikars now :-) )
Uma : I agree with you that Tsunami and Bombay floods were big tragedies. But are/were floods in other parts too. Chennai and Bombay got more coverage just because they are two imp cities where tragedies struck.
Gangadhar : Thanks

Aug 4, 2005, 7:45:00 AM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

Oh my GOD!!
How did I missed that snap.
Yiiikkeessss....its rained cats, dogs, tigers and buffaloes in Mumbai. Hehehe

Hope things settle down soon here.

Greetz!!

Aug 6, 2005, 10:44:00 PM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Het : I was wondering why you were away from your blog for so long. So that means you were at London.
Arz000n: I am going to Bombay on 12th to have a ground level assessment:-)

Aug 7, 2005, 6:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home