Almost Always The Truth

This blog is about small incidents which have occured in the life of Neel Arurkar. Neel also writes about his family and friends in this blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai/Bangalore/Pune, Maharashtra/Karnataka, India

I am what you see :-)

Holi Bumper(Updated 14th Nov)

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Pretty Old Shirts

Kashyap asked me whether it was a new shirt when I wore it to office last Friday. It is a milky white T-shirt with two press buttons. It has a different style of its own. If Kashyap is to be believed, the T-shirt is funny. Or did I look funny in the shirt? I dont know the answer, but the fact is that it is a 25 year old T-Shirt. Passed on from my dad to me because it no longer fits him, I would love to pass it to my next generation when it no longer fits me. And it is not the only old shirt that I have in my wardrobe, though it is the only one I have with me here at Bangalore. There were many more but only few could survive the barter exchange of my maternal grandmother who got copper vessels in return. One other old shirt, but not that old to fit into the category, is the shirt that Mr Machado, my maternal grandfather's friend, gave me. It is now eight years old and still going strong except for the fact that my maid brushed it so hard that it got a hole on its sleeves. It was such a comfortable shirt that I always used to wear for my exams(Note: not superstitious). Now it has been sent to Bombay for darning. And when I thought I alone am so attached to my father's old shirts or just old shirts for that matter, Keyur proved me wrong. Today morning just as he logged on to his machine I complimented him about his shirt. And Keyur said, "papa ka hai"(its my father's shirt)

5 Comments:

Blogger Art said...

It s not unusual Neel... Most of them feel so happy when they wear clothes which are their parents' or sometimes even grandparents...
I have a few sarees which are mom's and feel so happy wearing them... I even have a shirt which my grandad wore... but that ofcourse has become pretty old... May be we like them not coz whether they are new or not... its just the love and affection with certain things...

Jun 8, 2005, 11:31:00 PM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Hmmm. Today Keyur wore another father's shirt and I asked him why. He said, "mera shirts dhoya nahi hai"(i dont have any washed shirts) :-)

Jun 8, 2005, 11:38:00 PM  
Blogger Art said...

Chalo isi bahane woh paapa ko yaad to karleta hai :)
Otherwise in our busy schedules we forget our loved ones....
[not saying that u ppl do... just a general stmt]

Jun 9, 2005, 2:15:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

btw, art and saakshi, I have an uncanny knack of identifying saree first timers. Dont know how, but must be beacause of the extra make up put up, when girls/ladies who usually dont wear sarees wear them.

Jun 21, 2005, 7:06:00 AM  
Blogger Art said...

well it may not be the make up... but yes when its the first time.. and esp if u r going out with it... u have lot of fear and it shows on the dace :)

Well now i have so much experience wearing sarees.. so no prob...

Jun 21, 2005, 10:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home