Almost Always The Truth

This blog is about small incidents which have occured in the life of Neel Arurkar. Neel also writes about his family and friends in this blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai/Bangalore/Pune, Maharashtra/Karnataka, India

I am what you see :-)

Holi Bumper(Updated 14th Nov)

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Private Eye

It was a weird favour my friend had asked for. I am not sure that whether I should classify it as a favour. Let us call it an assignment. The task assigned needed some investigating abilities and was challenging. One of my friend's friend was getting married and the prospective groom was from my company. My friend wanted to know 'more' details about him. These details included how he looks in real life, whether he drinks or not and any other details that might be useful. I was given a strict deadline of about six hours. Now that was a difficult target to meet considering that my company has more than 36000 people. A little efforts and I came to know in which department he works. Beyond that I could not just proceed. I tried calling all the acquaintances that came to my mind who work in that department but that did not fetch any success. The six hour deadline was drawing to a close. I was stuck. My friend once again came to my desk to give me a 'gentle' reminder and I decided to give a 'deeper' thought. There was this guy who came to my mind who had last been in touch with me some six months ago and worked in the same department as the prospective groom. He was now working in the same department but in a different city. As a last resort, I contacted(via messenger) him expecting a 'I dunno him' response. But he had met the prospective groom a couple of times! My questions followed. I asked the question that I personally hate to ask. I dont know why people want to know whether a person drinks or not. He told me that atleast he had not shared the bar table with the prospective groom. The task was completed. Information was passed to my friend who in turn passed it to his friend. His friend inturn passed a 'thank you' which my friend passed on to me.

9 Comments:

Blogger Art said...

Oh my God!! that s quite a big task. So u have become Neel- the detective.
I also encountered such a thing a few months back, when my friend wanted to know about a guy in my company. But he was in Bangalore. Added to it, she just knew his first name. Now i found some 30+ people with that name. And i think some 15+ in bangalore. Only thing i knew was this guy was at onsite. I tried my level best, but could only find out his full name[that too not sure]. Finally left it at that. I told my friend that if the guy was in Mys infy i could have done somthing. But this was not possible. :)
Oops the comment went too big. But just felt like writing down my experience.

May 26, 2005, 2:00:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Hmm.Now the next time you know whom to subcontract the task to.

May 26, 2005, 2:34:00 AM  
Blogger Art said...

Ya sure. Now i know :). Info about anybody in Blore infy and i can get it from u.

May 26, 2005, 3:30:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Not just Bangalore, Art. I accept contracts across all DCs :-)

May 26, 2005, 3:34:00 AM  
Blogger Seema said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Jun 2, 2005, 5:24:00 AM  
Blogger Seema said...

ahan!! plannig for other ways to make money?? but as u ppl mention this isn't easy money :)

Jun 2, 2005, 5:26:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

I dont mind a 1000 bucks for my effort :-)

Jun 2, 2005, 7:03:00 AM  
Blogger Seema said...

don't u think u're asking for too much. i mean, 1000 bucks jus to know a few details (post mentions only 1)

Jun 3, 2005, 4:42:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

1000 is not too much. Private agencies will charge a bomb.On second thought, even 100 bucks is okay :-)
PS: If you(other visitors) are unsure about what a buck stands for, it has been used for 1 INR

Jun 3, 2005, 4:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home