Almost Always The Truth

This blog is about small incidents which have occured in the life of Neel Arurkar. Neel also writes about his family and friends in this blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai/Bangalore/Pune, Maharashtra/Karnataka, India

I am what you see :-)

Holi Bumper(Updated 14th Nov)

Sunday, May 08, 2005

KSRTC sucks too

I did not want to write a Part III to "To God's Own Country", but just cannot resist. How can I let go the unprofessional behaviour of Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) without leaving it open for searches on the web? It has been more than 15 days and 4 trips to KSRTC offices since the accident but we are yet to get our money refunded. Everyone whom we met at KSRTC office just passes the buck to someone else. We have wasted so much time on this that I dont intend to write a long post on this. Let me write about the officials we met at KSRTC. I will write their names too, because they are government servants and are answerable to me.
If you have not read previous two articles or just want to know more about the context, here is a brief description. We were travelling in a KSRTC bus from Bangalore to Ernakulam via Mysore. Our bus met with an accident near Mysore while on our way to Ernakulam. The tickets for which we(Dheepak, Subh and me) are seeking refund are to and fro tickets.

Mysore Officials : We came in contact with three officers and a few desk clerks at Mysore. The desk clerks were all horrible and the officers were all polite. The first officer asked us to wait for his two senior officers. The two officers informed us that we could get the refund only at Bangalore. The reason they gave us was that we had booked our tickets at Bangalore and they could be refunded only at the place of booking. This despite KSRTC having an computerised online system for ticket bookings. This is the typical mentality of people working with governments in India. I do not blame them for not giving refund at Mysore. It is the fault in the system(I am not talking about the computerised reservation system). One good thing about one of the officers here was that he had met a few of the victims of the tragedy at the hospltal. He also knew the driver's name, his experience and informed us that one of his legs had been amputated. These two senior officers called up the Depot Manager, GVR Venkatareddy at Bangalore to ensure that we get our refund soon on our return to Bangalore. He told us that KSRTC had given compensation of Rs 5000 to the seriously injured. Rishdi had seriously hurt his eye and did he did not get the compensation. Then why do all commuters on KSRTC buses pay one rupee towards accident relief fund when KSRTC guys are not serious about directing this money to seriously injured victims. Should they also go 20 times to the office like us and beg for money which is rightfully theirs?

GVR Venkatareddy(Depot Manager) : We never could find him in office.

Mr. Ravindranath(Assistant Traffic Manager) : When we could not find the Depot Manager, we were directed to him by some clerk. He was called the man with a walky talky. He always carried a walky talky with him and his job was directing traffic in and out of the depot. It took us about ten minutes for us to explain our case. He directed us to Depot Number 4 manager, who directed us back to this guy to submit our application for refund. We were informed that we are entitled to get full refund on our return journey and amount from Bangalore to Mysore would be deducted from the 'to' journey because we had travelled that much distance. I wanted to ask him whether KSRTC would pay for our accomodation at Mysore? Our application was accepted by Mr. Ravindranath and we were assured that he would let us know the details in 2-3 days. That never happended. Everytime I called him, he asked me to come to meet him at the Depot. And we have wasted our two Saturdays with this idiot. Everytime we go there he informs us that our application is being processed. And he assures us that he would call us in 2-3 days to let us know the status, something that he religiously forgets. I do not understand the logic behind his calling us to office. If he just wants to inform us that our application is being processed, then why does he want us to spend 2-3 hours in travelling to the Depot. A typical phone call to this idiot sounds like this:
Neel : Hello, Mr Ravindranath I am Neel.
Mr R : Elli ( go ahead in Kannada)
Neel : I am from the Ernakulam bus that met with an accident ( He never remebers me by name)
Mr R : You come to my office tommorow
Neel : Has the refund amount been arranged?
Mr R : You come (his exact words)
Neel : Has the refund amount been arranged?
Mr R : You come (his exact words)
Neel : Has the refund amount been arranged? ( once again!!!)
Mr R : Ha Ha You come.

Mr Pasha (ATS): I do not exactly know what ATS stands for, but from what I know of him it must be for A Trained Sucker. He coolly informs us that he can give us the refund on the spot if I have the tickets. Then I coolly inform him that the tickets are with you. Then he coolly informs that the tickets are at the Divisional Office of KSRTC and you cannot say that the tickets are with you. Then again I coolly inform him that by 'you' I meant KSRTC and not the fat ba***** he thinks of. He then asks us to get the tickets from KSRTC Divisional Office if we want the refund. When we tell him that the tickets were sent from people at this depot and it is their duty to get it back he smiles sheepishly. He gives us the address of the Divisional Office and removes our complaint from the public grievances file and asks us to produce it at the Divisonal Office. I refused to accept it. I would prefer that paper to lie in the files so that a rat could have a bit of it, grow fatter and bold and then have a bite of Pasha's a**e.
When I get back the money, I have decided to send an sms to these guys everyday. The sms would read " Remember that you are a public servant and to serve him/her is your duty. Whatever money you get is because of the money I pay in taxes and for tickets. I am the king. Treat me royally". Also, I would make public their phone numbers so that if anyone of the people who read my blog would want to tell them how much they suck, they can. I do not find anything immoral in making public their mobile phone numbers. After all, they are their official phones.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pavan said...

hi friend Pavan here from bangalore
really what is done with u people is not fair..this problem will persist unless we the youths replace the brainless government officals..i've decided to join the KSRTC as ass traffic manager hey not to harrass like these idiots ..unless youth replace our country will never progress ..u can contact me in mail if u wish..u write interesting bloggs friend..

Dec 10, 2009, 11:55:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Pavan, thats nice. Looking for a warmer KSRTC the next time I travel!

Dec 11, 2009, 10:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home