Almost Always The Truth

This blog is about small incidents which have occured in the life of Neel Arurkar. Neel also writes about his family and friends in this blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai/Bangalore/Pune, Maharashtra/Karnataka, India

I am what you see :-)

Holi Bumper(Updated 14th Nov)

Thursday, May 19, 2005

My Stocks With Udayan Mukherjee

Ever since I got a cable connection at my Bangalore house, I have been glued to CNBC. I often wondered how people ask their questions to Udayan on his show "Your Stocks With Udayan Mukherjee". Does CNBC broadcast the telephone calls live? Do they edit if you speak trash? Many questions and they were answered a few days ago when CNBC guys called me at home to ask whether I can ask a question on the show. I had filled some sick question on their site moneycontrol.com and left my contact details. They asked me to be at home(I was in Bombay) between 1700 and 1730 hours when they would call me up. They called me at 1640 just to confirm whether I was ready. At 1720, I received a call from CNBC. The operator asked me to hold the line for a minute. I could hear some advertisements which were followed by headlines. Then the following conversation ensued:(Conversation took place in 1st week of April)
UM: Our next caller for the day is Neel Arurkar, a software engineer from Mumbai. Neel, what is your question?
Me: I am looking at investments in tech stocks. Considering that fourth quarter results are around, should I invest in tier-I companies like I******,Wipro, TCS or tier-II companies like Satyam, Aztec. I have a short to medium term outlook?(I called Satyam as tier-II company !!!)
UM:Neel, let me ask you a question.Why look for short term gains? A man as young as you should have a long term prospective.
Neel: I typically hold the stocks till they appreciate for about 10% and then move out to some other stock.
UM: Doesnt 40% in two years make sense?Jamshed what do you want to say?
Neel(thinks) : 40% in two years :-( I want to double my money every fifteen days.
J: Satyam is looking undervalued at present and I would recommend my young friend to go for it.(and some explanation on why Satyam looks good)

After this, Udayan moved to the next caller and I still kept listening to the proceedings going on. It just seemed like you are listening to a TV. After a minute or two, my line got cut. As I did not have a cable connection, I could not verify if the program was being telecast live. But I did see the telecast of the show at 7pm at Heramb's house. My voice seemed so different on TV. A day later, I got a call from their studio and was asked whether I could come to their studio for a show. No... They were not going to interview me. I was going to be a part of the audience. But sadly, it was Bangalore calling. I had to reach Bangalore on the day of the show.

5 Comments:

Blogger arva said...

Hi,
I my name is arva. I m 16 yrs old n watch CNBC regularly. This show helps the stck holders perfectly. my dad is regular to the show and so i too hav much interst in it and m geting much info abt corporate world. ad stocks. udayan.M is a very talented person and a very gud n anchor. CNBC helps me and my sister to understand d market and more over. THe show is best.
Arva

Apr 23, 2007, 12:26:00 AM  
Blogger sidharth said...

Hii
This is Sidharth Sachdeva. I"n 15 years old. The only channel which I watch is CNBCTV18. Everyday after my school i see the markets and i"m i BIG fan of UDAYAN MUKHERJEE and i watch him daily in MARKETS TODAY WITH UDAYAN MUKHERJEE.Its my dream to meet him at least once in my life. Another person whom i watch regularly on cnbc is SHEREEN BHAN.

Feb 21, 2008, 6:43:00 AM  
Blogger Manu said...

Hi Neel,
I read about your blog about you talking with udayan M.
It was cool and fun to read.
Where exactly did you post that message for your questions?
I did go to "Post Message" section on moneycontrol.com and did the same.
Not sure if its the same section i have to navigate to. Please help me in this.

I just finished my MS from USC and would be working with Goldman Sachs in NY.
I want to invest in Indian companies in NASDAQ and DJ plus ask UM about what other options
are available for an Indian guy like me in US. (Mind you, am not a Green Card Holder)

It was nice to read people's comments as well on your blog.
15-16 yrs watching CNBC and stock market news...wow
when i was 15-16 all i knew was school
World has changed a lot since then. Am 25 now.

Please do the needful.

Thanks
Sidharth Kumar
http://sidharthkumar.blogspot.com/

Jun 3, 2008, 5:58:00 PM  
Blogger Noella said...

Hi Udayaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan my name is Noella I study in class IX.I always watch your shows daily even at late nights.I Found the most handsome man on the show.You are so highly educated and I just want to become like you when I pass my
school.I want to meet you so please
for once only come to Lucknow and meet.I found you the best man in this whole world.when you read this
please don't think this that I am
flattering and the last thing please mail me
bye

Mar 27, 2009, 7:00:00 AM  
Blogger sadanand said...

Hi Udayan,

My name is sadanand, I completed my MBA and currently working for one of the largest BPO(Genpact) sector,

I just want to become like you in my life, My dream is meet you once and grasp many things from..

Sadanand
M.B.A

Oct 10, 2009, 3:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home