Almost Always The Truth

This blog is about small incidents which have occured in the life of Neel Arurkar. Neel also writes about his family and friends in this blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai/Bangalore/Pune, Maharashtra/Karnataka, India

I am what you see :-)

Holi Bumper(Updated 14th Nov)

Friday, July 08, 2005

Bun Maska Chai

There are not many Irani restaurants left in Bombay. Most of them have converted themselves into plush restaurants for obvious commercial reasons. But if you visit an Irani restaurant even today, Bun Maska Chai(BMC) is what you are probably going to order. Fresh bun, cut into half along its thickness and coated with a thick layer of Amul butter and then the two halves placed together and the bun cut again two times parallel to its diameter, so that it can be dipped in the small tea cups or glasses, was something that I could not resist when I passed Merwan or Kyani. Sometimes, I even used to have BMC for breakfast at home. But then nothing could beat the ambience of an Irani restaurant. Kyani for example has steps so big, that he has a thick rope hanging from the tall ceiling, that you have to hold while climbing(see picture). The interiors in these Irani restaurants are simple. A big counter where you find the cashier is shared along with a few boys who help in packing the bakery products kept in glass containers. The round tables with marble tops along with not so comfortable chairs add to the charm. No one complains even if you spend an hour sipping just a cup of tea(picture says otherwise!). I still remember my visits to Light Of Bharat, an Irani restaurant next to Babu Cycle Mart, along with my grandfather after cycling classes at Shivaji Park. That I did not learn cycling then is a different matter. The other incident that I remember is that a waiter in an Irani restaurant actually asked Mukul and me(both in school uniform) whether we had 10 rupees to pay for that the sick raspberry soft drink that we had ordered for. All that I miss in Bangalore. A few bakeries that do serve BMC do not even understand what I am ordering. They call it Bread Butter Tea. You just don't get the effect when it is said in all English. Moreover, you have to stand and eat. Nevertheless, today while waiting for my bus, I had BMC at a bakery near the stop. Just as I was about to eat the last piece, I spotted my bus. I just dumped the bun in my mouth and carried the tea(in disposable container) in the bus. Bombay ki yaad agayi (remembered Bombay).

9 Comments:

Blogger Kaala Kavva said...

B is ok but i dont drnk tea
so maybe i can never realize your feelings but I can surely understand what it feels to miss something..


waise i saw a show on irani rests. on tv once...

Jul 8, 2005, 11:31:00 PM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Reva : Good to know there are BMC fans in Chennai too
RCGM : I am sure you will miss a dish when you are away from your hometown

Jul 9, 2005, 1:14:00 AM  
Blogger Kaala Kavva said...

naa!

i just like the weather of my hometown
and i think in that case mumbai sucks!

i dont relish any particular dish to miss it

Jul 9, 2005, 7:12:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Bombay weather really sucks. After staying for 20+ years in Bombay and now 1.5 years in Bangalore, I find adjusting to Bombay weather extremely dificult, when I go there.
"i dont relish any particular dish to miss it" : Is it because you get everything in Bombay ?:-). Waise, have you tried idli-sambar in Bombay? The sambar tastes much better than it does here in Bangalore. Btw, u from Bangalore?

Jul 9, 2005, 10:53:00 PM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Oops! Just read that you are from Delhi!

Jul 9, 2005, 10:57:00 PM  
Blogger Nilesh Ranade said...

Hi neel
should i send a parcel ?
Had BMC in the morning ! LOVED IT

Jul 10, 2005, 10:09:00 PM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Het : It is not a speciality as such. Just an experience. So it is okay to miss it.
Nilesh : Missing Pune too :-)

Jul 10, 2005, 11:11:00 PM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

I guess I have seen pics of 'Rituraj' on Keyur's comp. Will confirm that from Keyur.
Keep coming to my blog!

Jul 13, 2005, 5:39:00 AM  
Blogger Mansi Joshi said...

This website is beneficial for people . And I like this blog . Kindly visit our website also "Beauty Blog"

Jul 24, 2020, 12:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home