Almost Always The Truth

This blog is about small incidents which have occured in the life of Neel Arurkar. Neel also writes about his family and friends in this blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai/Bangalore/Pune, Maharashtra/Karnataka, India

I am what you see :-)

Holi Bumper(Updated 14th Nov)

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Smart Bai

No one has seen her. Still she gets all the work done. She is our domestic maid who helps us here at Pune. She has the key to our flat and comes to work while we are in our offices. When we want to get a job done, we write it on a piece of paper and leave it on the table. Smart Bai comes, reads it and gets the job done. When she wants us to buy a packet of detergent or wants to take a leave, she leaves a note for us. Whenever it is salary time, we keep the money on the table. She takes it and leaves behind an acknowledgement. In India, where literacy rates hover around the 65 % mark, and which I believe are government exaggerated figures, finding a literate maid is a difficult task. But not so in Pune. Most of the maids whom I have heard about in Pune can read and write. India Shinning.

10 Comments:

Blogger Dev said...

I particularly like the title :D

"Smart Bai" - smaaarter than the average bai??

Apr 26, 2006, 8:18:00 AM  
Blogger Art said...

haha.. thats a good one... hope u get to meet here some day...:)

Apr 26, 2006, 9:10:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Dev : Smarter than the rest I have met :-)

Art : Me too. I am not going home this weekend. Might see her soon!

Chetan : :-) Not that smart. Ah! That link is cool!

Anu : My Landlord here is going to increase the rent by 40%... SoBs everywhere :-)

Apr 27, 2006, 5:51:00 AM  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Impressive! and here we have a business made out of this, 'house cleaning services'. Western bais are not only literate but RICH

Apr 28, 2006, 9:46:00 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

I think I have learned a new word 'Bai' must mean maid?
I wish I had a Bai, but in this household I'm afraid that I'm the Bai and I don't get any pay.

Apr 29, 2006, 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger Art said...

so di did u finally meet?

May 2, 2006, 11:41:00 AM  
Blogger Cne Rocks>> said...

Hey buddy..u seem to be rocking the Bangalore BB online - sitting in Pune.
Nayi jagah,Nayi ghar, Nayi Bai...
Kamaal Hai!!
-Cne

May 4, 2006, 2:14:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

...good for ya guys ^_^
..but sorry to hear that your landlord will increase rent for 40 % whoaa..that much?? it's not a joke naa ;(
..goodluck yaar!

cheers,
-kathy-

May 4, 2006, 8:45:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Anu : Yeah :-) CRR1 with a band change...

Dewdy: Know that. Lucky me. Here we can afford that!

Exseno : :-) You indeed have added a Hindi/Marathi word to your word power. Great going!

Art : Nope! Went to uncle's house that weekend..

Cne : Pune DC is not half as good as Bangalore DC. I will never relinquish my access to KEC..

Kathy : Yes 'Yaar'. 40% is too much. Guess he wil settle for 20 though..

Digital Sparks : :-)

Kevin : F**k off

May 10, 2006, 6:44:00 AM  
Blogger Ninad Lade said...

is baai ka appraisal definitely accha nahi hoga... going by the Infy Logic... LoL

Aug 9, 2006, 4:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home