Almost Always The Truth

This blog is about small incidents which have occured in the life of Neel Arurkar. Neel also writes about his family and friends in this blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai/Bangalore/Pune, Maharashtra/Karnataka, India

I am what you see :-)

Holi Bumper(Updated 14th Nov)

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Another Kind Of Zoo

Dear Director DTE,

Please treat this as an official complaint letter against careless and don't care attitude at VJTI Application form Receipt Centre(ARC) while accepting applications for 2006 Maharashtra CET . I would be pleased if some action is taken though it is not something that I anticipate. Keep me in the loop!

Neel Arurkar
(MBA Aspirant -2006)
PS: This letter will also be posted on www.neelarurkar.blogspot.com

Dear Principal,VJTI,

Hope you understand the problem. Let the subsequent people who come to process their MH-CET 2006 applications face less hardships. Issue tokens, if necessary. VJTI is not a management institute like Welingker's, but I do not think that a little bit of management would do any harm.

Neel Arurkar


Dear Director, Welingkar's,

Job well done Sir. You may pass this mail to your staff and students. A good job should get due credit. Keep it up!

Neel Arurkar


Dear Directors/Principals of other ARCs,

I do not know about the process at your institute, though I hope that the things are better than VJTI. Treat this as just FYI.

Neel Arurkar


The Complaint Letter

Mukul
and me had planned to go to Veer Jijabai Udyan Zoo at Byculla, Bombay yesterday. I was a regular at the zoo years before, when my parents used to take me there every week. I do not remember when was the last time I went to the zoo but before Mukul leaves for US of A and I leave for Bangalore, we wanted to make it. The plan was that after lunch I would submit my application form for Maharashtra CET at Welingkar's Institute and from there go to the zoo. When we went to the Welingkar's Institute, the show was well managed. Right from the entrance, we were led to the venue guided by both, the staff and notice boards. I was given a token number and made to sit in a comfortable classroom. Students hooked on to wi-fi, seated all around the campus with laptops, with music blaring from some, I liked the ambience at Welingkar's. But unfortunately my token number was 368 and the current token being processed was around 150. Rehan, who was seated next to me suggested that we go to Veer Jijabai Technical Institute(VJTI), which is situated about a mile away and had a much much smaller queue. We decided to take a chance. We shared a cab to VJTI.At VJTI, the queue was indeed very small. There were just 20 people in front of me! Mukul and me were happy that we would be on our way to the zoo as planned. But then the lazy and unprofessional officials at VJTI ensured that they
would mess with our plans. More than an hour after we stood in the queue, we noticed that the queue had hardly moved and there were still atleast 15 people ahead of me. Rehan, Mukul and me could not ignore the difference in the attitudes of the two institutes. At Welingkar's every one's comfort was ensured whereas at VJTI the government babus did not care a hook. If the MBA aspirants keep standing for hours, let them stand. So what, if they have paid a sum of Rs 1150 for the entrance exam and a percentage of which would go to the application collection centres(like VJTI, Welingkar's), customer satisfaction, leave alone customer delight was last on the minds of the VJTI babus. At 1600 hours, one and half hours after standing in the queue, I finally got a seat on a stool. There were still 10 people ahead of me. Now, I could see the babus processing the applications. There was just one computer on which the process of generation of hall tickets was being carried out. There were three people involved in the process. If rumours are to be believed, there were about 10 such machines at Welingkars. Even if rumours are not to be believed, Welingkar's were processing atleast 500 students a day. Compare that to 50 students a day at VJTI. Shame. Shame. Just then, a reasonably good looking girl wearing blue denims, a pink sleeveless T-shirt and a black bra that was showing under her armpits(Note : I am a good observer and not a cheap observer), moved her right leg in such a manner that it hit my left leg. After lady luck kicking me, it was the turn of this damsel, I thought. As if this was not enough, she rested her right buttock on my left shoulder. What was next, I wondered. Possibly, she could sit on my laps. After all, so many people have treated me like a non living thing. Take the VJTI babus for example. They treated me like a log of wood that could wait forever. This damsel was just another one. She was treating me like a stool, I suppose. Just then, another pretty friend of her pointed out what was about to happen next and the damsel apologised. "Sorry", she said. "I don't mind", I said. After this there was no action till about 1630 hours. With about 6-7 people still in front of me, the head babu announced with authority that the processing would resume after a break. Now, Neel cannot stand all this. Now, the conversation that followed between Neel and Head Babu, which was being heard by all eager ears in the hall.

Neel : Ab break kyon? Waise bhi kaam aaram se ho raha hai. Welingkar's main dekho kaise fatafat ho raha hai. (Why do you need a break? As it is you are slow. Check out the processing speed at Welingkar's)

Head Babu: (ignores. Does not even look at me)

Neel : (taps on his shoulders. Shouts even louder) Sunai nahi deta kya?Ab break kyon?Welingkar's main dekho kaise fatafat ho raha hai.(Can't you hear me? Why do you need a break? Check out the processing speed at Wellingkar's)

Head Babu : Wellingkar's Wellingkar's hai!(Wellingkar's is Wellingkar's!). Saying this he moves out of the room. But in a matter of few second he returns and starts working on the application forms again.

Head Babu : (looks at me) Complaint karna ho to kar lo. Wellingkar's Wellingkar's hai! (Lodge a complaint, if you want to. Wellingkar's is Wellingkar's! )

Neel : Aapne yeh baat maani woh achi baat hai. Aap khudko pehchante hai yeh jaankar mera dil khush hua. Main mere blog pe iske baare main article likhunga. Woh sab ko bhejunga( That you admit this I like it. My heart is filled with joy after knowing that you are aware of your capabilities. I will write an article about this on my blog and will send it to everyone)

After this, the Head Babu stayed in the room till 1700 hours--the time after which no new applicants can be allowed entry into the queue. He waited because someone had challenged him. He waited because finally someone had challenged him. The others in the queue did not say a word. The only thing they did to support me was to giggle loudly when the babu said, "Wellingkar's is Wellingkar's". They were mere statues but for that. The babu had to wait because someone in the room could raise his voice for his rights. The babu had to wait because someone in the room could raise his voice for everyone's rights.

My application process was completed soon after this. At 1710, I was out of VJTI. The zoo would close its shutters on me by the time I reached, I was sure. So I skipped it. After all I had visited a zoo. There is very little difference between Veer Jijabai Udyan Zoo and Veer Jijabai Technical Institute. Besides sharing a similar name, another similarity between the two is the fact that both of them are complete with animals. I do not think I missed the zoo on my Bombay visit.

PS:
Why are the officials at VJTI being called as animals?
a. They are indisciplined. Animal like behaviour.
b. They do not care for fellow human beings. 'Let them stand for hours. Who cares? Our buttocks are comfortably rested on these chairs!' kind of attitude.
c.Would fast become a rare species if privatisation picks speed. They need protection in a zoo.

23 Comments:

Blogger Flying Machine said...

On second thots you did visit the zoo, only difference this one was full of people and that of the ancient kind which doesnot know what hard work is. ;-)

Feb 4, 2006, 11:07:00 PM  
Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

WOW. I admire your guts. I'm almost ashamed to admit that had I been in that room with you, I would have probably been one of the gigglers. Though I don't really giggle. But anyway, kudos to you. Now that I know your raising your voice had some kinda impact, hopefully the next time I'm in a similar situation, I can find it in me to summon some .. err... guts.

Feb 5, 2006, 1:49:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

You did just right yaar...maybe they'll learned their lesson now^_^ They're just awaken by your brave and unbeatable guts hehe...I can imagine how you look that time^_~ esp.when the good looking girl was about to rest on your left shoulder haha..jokin'^_^
Stay cool...

-kathy-

Feb 5, 2006, 9:03:00 PM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Bhagya : Yeah. Typical sarkari babus

Ms V : Don't know whether it was guts. A good manager never shouts :-)

Kathy : Dont think that they will awaken or anything. They havent yet replied to my mail. Kathy, the good looking girl was resting on my shoulders :-)

Feb 6, 2006, 7:05:00 AM  
Blogger Seema said...

Your PS is a li'l harsh. But I guess they do deserve it.

Feb 8, 2006, 4:54:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

FMOE: Yes it is harsh.

PS: Yes they deserve it ;-)

Feb 8, 2006, 5:00:00 AM  
Blogger Dev said...

cool piece!!!
i hate govt offices of all kinds...if they arent makin u wait, they're sendin u from one place to another. :D

Feb 8, 2006, 5:09:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Dev : Yes. F***ing B******s

Feb 8, 2006, 5:18:00 AM  
Blogger Kroopa Shah (Kr00pz) said...

I've heard most government run organisations in India are like that.
I have been to the Indian embassy here in Toronto and its worse than hell!!!

Feb 10, 2006, 3:38:00 PM  
Blogger Nero said...

Guess your quota of difficulties must be over by now.. Wish you an extremely easy CET! :D

Feb 11, 2006, 4:03:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Kroopa : Oops! Even the embassies are like that!!

Nero : Thanks man. These guys have only strengthened my determination to crack the CET :-P

Feb 12, 2006, 5:32:00 AM  
Blogger Art said...

It really hurts when people behave like this....
I feel like slapping them :)

Feb 12, 2006, 7:33:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Hey Happy Valentine's Day yaar...hope u have a great time^_^

cheers,
kathy-

Feb 14, 2006, 8:12:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Art : I slapped them with my words, I suppose ;-)

Kathy : Thanks. Best wishes for you too.

Feb 14, 2006, 10:37:00 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

happy valentines day

Feb 14, 2006, 3:30:00 PM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

:-) This is kinda mock CET ;-). Will tell you my CAT score offline sometime. I know you have been putting long hours..Nice to know that you still read a long post :-)

Feb 15, 2006, 2:41:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

:-) Yeah. Got my score. It's not very good, so I am not putting it up here :-)

Feb 15, 2006, 10:54:00 PM  
Blogger Hul said...

where u gone?

Feb 21, 2006, 5:20:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Het : Yeah!!

Hul : Was blogging as I as saw your comment. Post should be ready before tomorrow evening :-)

Feb 21, 2006, 5:25:00 AM  
Blogger Hul said...

? editing posts...just post whats in your mind boss..! there s no contest going on..! waiting for ya post.

Feb 21, 2006, 8:46:00 PM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

My readers deserve the best ;-)

Feb 22, 2006, 2:20:00 AM  
Blogger Hul said...

i m gonna complain a lot if next post is not good enuf.Cheers

Feb 22, 2006, 6:49:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Slogging and blogging. Hope I finish before the 9:15 bus :-)

Feb 22, 2006, 6:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home