Almost Always The Truth

This blog is about small incidents which have occured in the life of Neel Arurkar. Neel also writes about his family and friends in this blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai/Bangalore/Pune, Maharashtra/Karnataka, India

I am what you see :-)

Holi Bumper(Updated 14th Nov)

Monday, March 20, 2006

Uncle Neel

Well Well Well. Uncle Sam happens to be the national personification of the United States. But Uncle Neel, let me clarify, does not stand for United Nations. It so happened, that I had a holiday on Wednesday on account of Holi, and Subh and me decided to go to Sinhagad for some trekking. Dressed in my oldest shirt, which I wear only in my bed, I set out for Sinhagad. The oldest shirt was worn so that I do not lose a newer shirt to some water balloon mixed with oil paint. Most people in Pune played dry Holi as opposed to dirty wet Holi they play in my area in Bombay. When I was just out of my building, I saw this cute kid, face smeared with various colours and with a water balloon in his right hand, walk towards me and say, "Uncle, can I throw the balloon at you?". I politely refused. But the point is he called me 'Uncle'. Damn, I am getting old :-(

12 Comments:

Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

Basically, all kids who call people your age "Uncle" have been taught to do so by their parents who have themselves been called "Uncle" or "Aunty" when they were your age, by kids whose parents had been called..... you get the picture right?

So, you have officially entered the vicious circle wherein a couple of years down the line, your kids will be calling people your present age "Uncle". At that moment, you will taste sweet revenge ;)

(As you can see, I've given this a lot of thought, only because I've had the misfortune of being called "Aunty"! UGH.)

Mar 20, 2006, 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Ms V : Thats quite a lot of research Vid. And I know it is much better to be called a uncle than it is for a female to be called an aunty :-D

Het : The first name culture is fast catching up :-) I would prefer kids to call me Neel than Uncle even when I am 50

Anu : Yeah! No one to bitch about this time ;-)

Mar 21, 2006, 4:44:00 AM  
Blogger Seema said...

Ha ha.. When my neighbor's kids called me aunty for the first time it was like 'All right :@' Now I'm used to it. But when I had to address their mom I was tempted to call her 'Aunty'. Though I do address her with her first name some times it's 'aunty' :P, slip of toungue ;)

Mar 22, 2006, 4:54:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

FMOE : And just for comparing, when I called my old landlady aunty, she was very happy, but when I called her granny she got pissed off :-)

Mar 22, 2006, 4:57:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Hello Uncle Neel..^_^hehe..
Don't you think it's better to be called Daddy(of your own child) first before Uncle haha..just kiddin'!
So you enjoyed Holi naa?

cheers,
-kathy-

Mar 22, 2006, 7:37:00 AM  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Im pretty used to the 'aunty' syndrome, most Indian kids use that epithet to address grown ups, unlike kids here, they prefer calling Mr/Ms lastname/firstname

Mar 22, 2006, 7:45:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Kathy : That will take another 5 years :-)

Dewdy : Anytime better than aunty, right? :-)

Goldilocks : You already know it now

Gangadhar : Uncle at 8! Bahut jaldi mama ban gaya ;-)

Mar 26, 2006, 8:18:00 PM  
Blogger Sarang Anajwala said...

hahaha.... finally u stopped talking about aunty(ur landlady) thx to ur new incarnation!!!

Mar 30, 2006, 4:37:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Sarang : :-)

Apr 2, 2006, 10:35:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Should have gone all red, blushed a little and said gushingly "Uncle mat kaho na!" That might have helped probably! :)
By the way, you sure this isnt a result of the *bad hair days* thanks to the salon treatment you had at KEC!!! :D Just wonderin'

May 11, 2006, 12:01:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

:-) Na Na! KEC salon is pretty good. Missing it. Planning to have a haricut there when I am there for a week..

May 11, 2006, 12:41:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You love Blore Infy, dont you? Neel uncle come back..(Oops!!)

Dec 12, 2007, 11:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home