Almost Always The Truth

This blog is about small incidents which have occured in the life of Neel Arurkar. Neel also writes about his family and friends in this blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai/Bangalore/Pune, Maharashtra/Karnataka, India

I am what you see :-)

Holi Bumper(Updated 14th Nov)

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Barber Michelangelo

Mukul is in India. A few days ago he was here in Bangalore too. The following text in italics was written by him a few years ago during his engineering days.


The reason Michelangelo was deemed a genius was not only due to
the fact that he was a great sculptor and painter but also because he
had a thorough understanding of the human psyche. This skill is relevant
for engineering students even today.
In 1504 when Michelangelo was working on this masterpiece in
marble- The statue of David – he worked in complete secrecy, not
allowing anyone to see the statue. However just before he finished the
statue one Roman V.I.P. managed to get permission to see the statue. The
statue was indeed magnificent, but he thought he should make some
comment. So he told Michelangelo, ”The nose is too thick”. Michelangelo
said nothing. He climbed upto the nose of the 4-metre statue. Concealed
in his hand was some marble dust and as he pretended to chisel away he
let the dust drop slowly. When he climbed down, David’s nose was
unchanged but the V.I.P. looked approvingly and said, “It’s fine now.”
Cut to the 21st century. As I queued up to the teacher for her
signature on my file for submission, everything was in order but then
freeing a student form this term-work burden on his first try was
against her principles. So she looked keenly for a mistake and finally
said, “The lines in the flowchart are all crooked. Straighten them.” I
went back to a nearby table and pretended to work on the journal with my
pencil and eraser. When I went back to her, the flowchart was as it was
but this time she nodded and accepted the file saying, “It’s okay now”.
I walked away thinking, Michelangelo would have made a great engineer.


Now that day I had been to the barber. As always, I had asked him to cut my hair as short as possible. When he thought that he had cut my hair as short as possible, he asked me whether I was satisified. I asked him to trim it further. The barber told me that any further trimming would not suit me but I refused to budge. The barber then started to making louder noises with his scissors, but then he was not cutting any hair at all...well almost. After a minute or two he asked me if I was satisified. I nodded my head. I walked away thinking, Michelangelo would have made a great barber too.

19 Comments:

Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

Hehehe. Beautiful post!!! Funny and refreshing :)

Jan 21, 2006, 5:20:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Thanks Ms V!

Jan 21, 2006, 5:22:00 AM  
Blogger Deeps said...

Hehehe the last line brought a smile to my face as soon as I read it :). I guess Michelagelo could have been whatever he wanted to ;-).

Jan 21, 2006, 8:25:00 PM  
Blogger Dev said...

real funny post dude.. :D and best of luck in pune. closer to home! :)

Jan 21, 2006, 11:17:00 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Very interesting :) It's strange how ppl perceive things differently just cos of an external action that didnt take place in reality...


Keshi.

Jan 22, 2006, 3:12:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Hehe..funny^_^ but still theres a lesson on it.Nice post yaar..
So you're going to Pune soon?You said 25th naa?
Goodluck...

-kathy-

Jan 23, 2006, 2:17:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Deeps : Yup! The genius that he was, he could

Dev : Thanks! Atb to you too for your final interview!

Keshi : Yeah. And that included me too!

Kathy : Pune has got delayed a bit. I would be going in Feb :-( Nevertheless, I am going to Bombay on 25th

Jan 23, 2006, 4:03:00 AM  
Blogger Seema said...

Nice one!!

Jan 23, 2006, 5:04:00 AM  
Blogger Art said...

cool post Neel...

BTW just got a fwd from my frnd today... And that had ur post on BB about ur Coty:)
Was a good one :)

Jan 23, 2006, 8:48:00 AM  
Blogger The Lil fairy & her angel friends said...

hahhahahahahha!!!
good one !!!
my strategy too!

Jan 23, 2006, 8:47:00 PM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Art : Thanks! Looks like half of Infy has got that forward. I am famous!

Unaiza : Thanks

Jan 24, 2006, 2:06:00 AM  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

:) lovely, enjoyed the start of my day with your light and funny post

Jan 24, 2006, 7:10:00 AM  
Blogger FutureWorldLeader said...

Lol well don't that beat all. I didn't know that about michaelangelo. So thank you for sharing that bit of history. I think that the shovanistic ( not sure if spelled right or not) leaders and judges just pick on the littlest things to make your entire thing look like a huge mistake. Good story.

Jan 24, 2006, 7:01:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Oh so you're delayed for Pune?Well,take care of going to Bombay today..goodluck yaar.

-kathy-

Jan 25, 2006, 3:59:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Oops Happy Republic Day!Enjoy...

cheers,
-kathy-

Jan 25, 2006, 7:11:00 PM  
Blogger Flying Machine said...

:D Everybody turns Michelangelo once in a while.

Hey did you like'Death by Chocolate'. I couldn't finish it in one go, too huge and too much chocolate. :)

Jan 27, 2006, 8:59:00 AM  
Blogger Kroopa Shah (Kr00pz) said...

LOL, what you say is true though :-0

Jan 28, 2006, 9:33:00 PM  
Blogger Art said...

U have been tagged.
Check out the blog for details

Jan 29, 2006, 1:50:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Dewdy : Thanks!

FWL : Yup. And they take pride in pointing out flaws in perfect things too.

Kathy :Yeah. Pune is delayed. But Bombay is so much fun! Thanks for the Republic Day wishes

Bhagya : DBC was good. But it was too much for me. In the end, it felt a bit nauseating : )

Reva : Thanks. You back after a long time

Kroopa : wohi to

Art : Saw that. Plan to write soon

Feb 1, 2006, 12:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home