Almost Always The Truth

This blog is about small incidents which have occured in the life of Neel Arurkar. Neel also writes about his family and friends in this blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai/Bangalore/Pune, Maharashtra/Karnataka, India

I am what you see :-)

Holi Bumper(Updated 14th Nov)

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Begging Beyond Boundaries

It has been long since I have posted, but I suppose being in Bombay on a vacation is a reason good enough for not penning. With Mukul around, I have done so many things in the last few days, that it would take up considerable amount of time to write it all. But there are these few incidents that I cannot resist blogging.
Yesterday while passing time at Dadar TT before the 3 pm Rang De Basanti show at Chitra, a child of about 14, with his hands stretched, begged for money. This guy, dark skinned and thin, face smeared with yellow paint, with no shirt on his body and with the lower garment resembling a skirt, held a whip in his hands. Somehow, I felt that this boy was South Indian. "Nimma hesaru enu?"(What is your name?), I said, using whatever limited knowledge of Kannada I have. Sure enough, Ramesh replied in Kannada. I asked him a few more questions in Kannada. After this, he thought that I would pay, but then he was mistaken. I do not encourage begging. A kilometer away near Ruia, after I had the famous idli at Mani's, I met Ramesh's clone. Dressed exactly like Ramesh, his name was something that I could not decipher even after asking him twice. This chap was from Gulbarga in Karnataka. These incidents of beggars coming from a different states are not isolated ones. How can I forget the Marathi family that I encountered on the streets of Bangalore,not once but many times? In this era of disappearing boundaries, can this profession be left out?

6 Comments:

Blogger veryv said...

Even if I feel bad, I don't know what the money will be used for finally and hence am ever more reluctant.

Sometimes though, if I have an option, I buy some buscuits or a meal from a nearby vendor for the beggar.

Any better suggestions?

Feb 2, 2006, 1:44:00 AM  
Blogger Deeps said...

This reminds me of a story that my friend personally encountered a few months back.

A lady came begging when my friend was eating at a road side joint (upahara darshini) in bangalore. My friend felt pity for the lady and bought 2 idlis to give it to her. The lady instead of being grateful started complaining that why she didn't give any money and who needed the idli and what not!!

Who says beggers can't be chosers!!

Feb 2, 2006, 9:19:00 PM  
Blogger Nero said...

guess this must be true globalization..

Feb 4, 2006, 4:24:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Even I and my friends came across a lady in mysore.
She said doctor had asked to eat only a special variety of bread, it costs around 100, and that only she knows where to get it.
We obviously refused it.

Really poverty has become a curse for India. :-(

Feb 6, 2006, 5:59:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Vinay :No suggestions at all. I too, am no less confused than you at times. Remember a story in Times Of India, where beggars begged for milk powder near Gateway of India and then sold it to the same medical store from which it was purchased. Needless to say, the beggars and the shop owner were hand in glove

Anu : Lol! Most people who are not from my dept envy me(check my dept on sparsh). And then, I have a kind and understanding boss too :-). Agree with you, But then there are also families in Bombay who earn enough to buy a house through begging.

Deeps : Lol!

Nero : Yeah! Benefits of globalization trickling down to the lowest rung of the society ;-)

Rohidas : :-) A bread worth 100 bucks! Must be some miracle bread. H a Ha Ha!

Feb 6, 2006, 6:55:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Reva : :-)

Feb 9, 2006, 1:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home