Almost Always The Truth

This blog is about small incidents which have occured in the life of Neel Arurkar. Neel also writes about his family and friends in this blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai/Bangalore/Pune, Maharashtra/Karnataka, India

I am what you see :-)

Holi Bumper(Updated 14th Nov)

Sunday, March 13, 2005

The Malayalee Face Cut

Haircuts in Bangalore are about 50% cheaper than they used to be in Bombay. However, I am disadvantaged here because I cannot decipher the barber gossip. The saloon where I have been visiting ever since I have come to Bangalore is called RamLakhan Haircutting Saloon. It has a 2ft*3ft tin portrait of Anil Kapoor parked right in front of the entrance. The barber now knows me to an extent that I dont have to tell him how to cut my hair. But still he always asks me a question.."Malayalee??" and I say no. Then he goes on with a list "Tamil?,Telgu?,Kannad?" and thats when I stop him and tell that I am "Hindi" for I am sure he has never heard of a language called Marathi. This has repeated as many times as I have had an haircut. So finally, the last time I went I asked him why he thinks I am a Malayalee and he told me that I have a Malayalee face cut!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

I am not ashamed of my regional identity. I just thought that my barber thinks that there are only 5 languages in this world : Kannada, Tamil, Telugu , Malyalam and Hindi. I just did not want to get involved in explaining him things like which part of the country and stuff like that. After second thoughts, I feel that I will let him know the next time I go to him.
And yes, I do feel proud about Marathi, just as I feel about Hindi. One of the reasons of telling the barber that I was Hindi was that he finds a need to learn Hindi to keep his clients happy. Obviously he was not going to learn Marathi.
Anyway, keep reading the blog and thanks for 'felt nice to read'.

Apr 29, 2005, 4:28:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Funtoosh, have heard about the association. My saloon in Bombay used to be a bit classy, and hence used to charge me a bit more. my barber here is a nice guy though. He has not charged me extra because I communicate with him in Hindi, but you might not have been that lucky.

Oct 5, 2005, 12:09:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

sayitisntsodear, I am afraid, Jai isnt going to read that..

Oct 22, 2005, 5:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home