Almost Always The Truth

This blog is about small incidents which have occured in the life of Neel Arurkar. Neel also writes about his family and friends in this blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai/Bangalore/Pune, Maharashtra/Karnataka, India

I am what you see :-)

Holi Bumper(Updated 14th Nov)

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Guoyu

"Guoye, Guoyi, Guoyo", chanted Anish in his cubicle on a deserted Saturday afternoon. "That's just 30% right", shouted Guoyu who sat three cubicles away. Guoyu Wang is an intern from Shanghai who is working with us and no matter how hard we try it is next to impossible to pronounce his name. His Western classmates at his University call him Goyo and so do I when I don't feel like calling him G. Yes, I mostly call him just plain G. It is much simpler that way and the best part is that he doesn't mind. Having Gouyu here is fun. His description of Shanghai have convinced Anish and me to visit it atleast once in lifetime. This is apart from so many places he discussed with Anish that are worth visiting. In addition, we also got our names jotted down in Chinese. Chinese, I must admit, is quite pictorial and a beautiful script. But at the same time it must be pretty difficult to learn for someone who is not from China. I must state that it is not possible for me to write his name in Hindi. This is because of the reason that Hindi does not have the letters in its alphabet that are required to pronounce his name. All said, I have given up my efforts to twist my tongue in the required manner. I am sure Anish's efforts are on. But am sure he wont go beyond 30% correctness!

8 Comments:

Blogger FutureWorldLeader said...

I would beleive that both chinees and japanees caligraphy would be extremely diffucult to learn if you were not a born artist for , as you said, it is a beutiful way of wrighting. Each letter seems to big a picture it's self, yet put together makes an even more beautiful picture, a picture litteraly worth a thousand words.

Aug 3, 2006, 11:00:00 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Aug 4, 2006, 10:46:00 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

I have to agree with FWL, their writing is like a beautiful picture.

Aug 4, 2006, 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

By the way Neel, glad to hear they unblocked the blogs but why did they block them in the first place?

Aug 4, 2006, 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger Hul said...

its nice having outside people around. i had a phillipino lady working with me...they were fun

Aug 9, 2006, 11:41:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

FWL : Yes FWL. You are right.

Exseno: Ah! They had blocked it after bombings in Bombay trains. They think terrorists use blogs to communicate. Governments are meant to be stupid..

Hul : Hmmm. You still onsite?

Aug 15, 2006, 6:06:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Here you have just mentioned that you got it jotted down in Chinese.. thats all!!

Aug 17, 2006, 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Yes :-) And now I confess that I hae lost hold of that chit of paper too..Not a problem! There are many Chinese interns out here!

Aug 20, 2006, 12:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home