Almost Always The Truth

This blog is about small incidents which have occured in the life of Neel Arurkar. Neel also writes about his family and friends in this blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai/Bangalore/Pune, Maharashtra/Karnataka, India

I am what you see :-)

Holi Bumper(Updated 14th Nov)

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Daddy Banni

Cycling is not the only thing I learnt after shifting to Infosys, Bangalore. I have learnt a bit of Kannada too. My interest in Kannada was induced by my maid with whom I couldnt communicate in Hindi or English. I tried to used sign languages and this worked fine till the instruction was not adhoc like say "dont brush my clothes too hard" lest she should misunderstand.(Well, I spoke to her in Marathi, when she spoke with me in Kannada. Surprsingly, it looked as if she understood my every sentence in Marathi)
But, thanks to LIG-Kannada--or Learn in groups Kannada conducted by fellow Infoscions, I now can pick up a word or two that is said on the streets. Yesterday, I went to buy a ticket to Bombay for Lech. The travel agent operated from home. I told a girl at the counter that I wanted a ticket to Bombay. She shouted, " Daddyyyyyy banni"( come here daddy). This was the first complete Kannada sentence I could competely assimalate.

2 Comments:

Blogger Prashanth M said...

Great Neel... Keep learning :)

Jul 23, 2005, 2:08:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Thanks for the encouragement Prashanth.

Jul 23, 2005, 2:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home