Almost Always The Truth

This blog is about small incidents which have occured in the life of Neel Arurkar. Neel also writes about his family and friends in this blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai/Bangalore/Pune, Maharashtra/Karnataka, India

I am what you see :-)

Holi Bumper(Updated 14th Nov)

Thursday, August 16, 2007

NOIS

I had a feeling that this was going to become popular even as I was writing this at three in the morning. Yes, you read it right - at three in the morning. Somehow, this particular night, the onsite problem kept bothering me and I could sleep peacefully only after I finished the poem. If you are not an Indian software engineer and are reading this post, then the poem surely might not strike a chord. That is because you do not understand the term onsite and the situation and hence the essence. I would try to explain it to you, but how much of it would mean more than the rhyme scheme to you is any Indian software engineer's guess. An onsite, in very simple terms, is an opportunity for an Indian software engineer to work abroad at client location. This means s/he is handsomely paid for the job and returns back home richer. No wonder an onsite opportunity is the dream of every Indian software engineer. With all the modesty, though it would not be very evident after I boast, I can tell you that this poem has been read by atleast a hundred thousand Indian software engineers, who spend more than half their day reading and forwarding stupid forwards, one of which happened to be my poem. Methinks, the crux of writing a popular poem is not being a good poet but writing something that is close to the hearts of the audience. After, being forwarded without credits to the artist and being uploaded on a few blogs as if it was original content, I present it here with dual purpose - for you and to stake claim to my intellectual property.

No Onsite In Sight (NOIS)
The pressure was heavy, the schedule was tight,
Slogged like a dog, coded with all might,
Worked through the day, sat late in the night,
But for me, there is no onsite in sight…

She meets me for coffee, she catches up for a bite,
As I write this stupid poem, she is packing for her third long flight,
What did I do wrong, that she did right?
Why for me, there is no onsite in sight…

Want to climb the Eiffel, see Paris from that height,
Want to see the felled Berlin wall sipping beer light,
Want to bet that dollar as I see Vegas by the night,
Unfortunately for me, there is no onsite in sight…

Talked to my boss, with her I had a fight,
But she earns too much to understand my plight,
Now I don’t work that hard, I take it light,
Because for me, there is no onsite in sight…

The future is dark, it ain’t bright,
Life is routine, office bus I will board and alight,
Stay offshore and code byte by byte,
For me, there is no onsite in sight…

24 Comments:

Blogger Manish Kothawade said...

too good :)

Aug 17, 2007, 3:36:00 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Well I'm not Indian and I understood it after you explained onsite of course.
It's a very good poem.Well done.

Aug 17, 2007, 6:56:00 PM  
Blogger Satyaprakash B said...

NOIS
Precious,
Since in this post u have claimed all
intellectual property rights to the poem.I shall update it like wise.

btw..u r reasoning for the poem is a bit downer.but neverthless it is a fact that it one hell of a spam in india.

Aug 18, 2007, 8:41:00 PM  
Blogger Satyaprakash B said...

And buddy, there shall be people like me ;-) who will seek out the original author,
so never lose faith in the good will of a internet geek

Aug 18, 2007, 8:49:00 PM  
Blogger Satyaprakash B said...

Blogs are covered under Creative Commons License, so u can publish and wait for it to be quoted..helps a lot.


cheerio mate.

Aug 18, 2007, 8:52:00 PM  
Blogger Sachin Wagh said...

Seriously...a good one!!!

Cheers,
Sachin

Aug 20, 2007, 2:03:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Manishbhai : Thanks!

Exseno : Thanks!

Satya : Thanks for the citation on your blog. There are too many blogs that carry this poem now. Am not telling this to everyone... Btw, the poem has been converted by someone into a mp3!

Aug 20, 2007, 2:17:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Sachin : Thanks dude!

Aug 20, 2007, 2:18:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Was in a dilemna whether to mail on office id , leave a comment in the blogs there or.....
here u go... :)

nice theme.. and nice music and lyrics...
As they say ppl will forget the music unless the lyrics are not worth remembering ...

Aug 22, 2007, 6:12:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Thanks Amrutha!
Anything would have been okay!

Aug 23, 2007, 6:32:00 AM  
Blogger Rk said...

I searched for the poem, credited to you (with a link to this post) and forwarded :D
- http://rkblogs.net

PS: The blog is blocked in office and hence could not read the post, but made an educated guess that you were the original.

Aug 23, 2007, 7:49:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Thanks for the educated guess dude :-)

Aug 27, 2007, 12:29:00 AM  
Blogger Jazemzer said...

Me - Singer and co-composer(music) of the song 'NOIS'.
Few weeks back, I received a forward that contained this poem 'No onsight in sight'.
It all originated in our official bulletin board. As I was reading the poem, I felt the magical substance in the prose, which I knew was an intimate aspect of all software engineers. A thought arose in mind - Why not make a song out of this?
So, I composed a tune(kinda rap)and sang for my colleagues. But they insisted on something that had the tone of frustration. So, I forwarded it to my gmail for further research.
Back at home, I tried out few other tunes but nothing worked out perfect. Then on one weekend, during our jamming session We (me and my friend Soulwinner) tried a different melody pattern. And it came out well. But we had to alter the lyrics a little to keep it rhythmical - CCL :)
When I did this song, I knew that this poetry would remain etched in the hearts of all SE's. Not only that, I also knew that this song will remain extant in the web world
All credits to Neel and Soulwinner.

Aug 27, 2007, 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It was indeed a well written poem...
:-)

Aug 29, 2007, 5:13:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Jabez : Hey Dude! :-) Nice to see your comment here. I wrote this blog before I got hold of the mp3 by you :-) But am planning to have the mp3 up here and will give due credits to Soulwinner and you!

And yes, dont shy away from the credit due to you :-)


Kripa : Thanks!

Aug 30, 2007, 6:17:00 AM  
Blogger Saji said...

Neel Bhai,

I generally visit your blog about 4 to 6 times a year. That is because you consistenly post around an article every month and I enjoy reading them. I was thrilled reading this poem "NOIS" and I must say that it is amazing. Hats off to your creativity. There is a pleasure in reading every article of yours. I would say that if you continue this for another few years, we will have another R. K. Laxman kind of brand, but people will talk Neel Brand :-) Great job sir. Write more such articles and poems and daily experiences that will thrill people like me.

Aug 31, 2007, 8:54:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Saji! Can you believe it that I mailed you my Teacher's Day's wishes just a few minutes ago? And that was when I hadnt read this comment :-)I do have an explosive post coming up next after which there will be one dedicated to you!

Sep 4, 2007, 9:18:00 PM  
Blogger Art said...

i got this as a fwd some days back...

Sep 13, 2007, 4:52:00 PM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

And now you know its mine

Sep 13, 2007, 8:43:00 PM  
Blogger SparkleSupi said...

Rocking!!!

Sep 25, 2007, 12:25:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Thanks Sane!

Sep 30, 2007, 1:35:00 AM  
Blogger Nasal Crooner said...

where's de mp3 dude? :)

Nov 27, 2007, 6:20:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

NC : Oops. Have to upload it....

Nov 27, 2007, 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Sep 29, 2011, 2:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home